Tuesday, May 17, 2011

NOTD: What. The. Eff. Avon?

Welp... this is one of those manicures where I had an idea that seemed really awesome in my head but when I went to put it on, it just kind of sucked. The amusing part is that I REALLY hated it but I got a ton of compliments on it today from random people. I guess it was because it's so freaking bright, everyone noticed how they were painted, lol.


I tried two of the Avon polishes I just got last week (Sunshine and Mambo Melon) and as much as I wanted to love these, I can't. They honestly have to be two of the worst polishes I've used in a very long time. The formula on both was very thick and goopy and it went on so streaky. I swear, it was a battle trying to get it to go where I wanted. It was literally like trying to spread grape jelly on toast with a spoon... I eventually got it spread out but it was a pain in the ass to do it. In addition to the formula, the brushes are sooo wonky. The post and the cap are squared but the bristles seemed to be rounded which made holding the brush awkward. I'd have to swipe the excess off one way and then readjust my hand to paint. The Mambo Melon gets an extra strike against it because I had to trim some of the bristles... they were short and broken in places and sticking out to the sides.


I'm just really, really disappointed. I'm hoping the yellow will be salvageable as stamping polish later on but I don't know. I'll let y'all know how that goes when I get there.

Now as for the design itself, I just wanted to do a simple two tone look with a curved line diagonally across my nail. I painted my entire nail in Sunshine first.

Three (yes, 3) coats of Sunshine.

I let that dry for a bit and then I used a liner brush to freehand the curved line as a guide. Then I used the regular polish brush just to fill it in.

See the streaky-ness? This is with two coats of Mambo Melon.

This is where I planned on stopping but I wasn't feeling it so I just used some of my Kiss Nail Artist polishes to add an abstract swooshy design. (The last set of these I bought came with these little gem sticker thingies so I put one of those on there too.)


So bottom line, Avon broke my polish loving heart with these. I still have the Mink color to try but after this mani, I'm not sure if I ever will.

So what do you guys think? Is this just a fluke or are Avon polishes like this in general?

Thanks for reading!
- Kim

2 comments:

  1. I really dont know much about avon polishes, thats really upsetting that they are so bad! you'd think they'd be better... hmm but
    your nails look so pretty! I gotta try it! my nails are really small though so i hope it looks as good as on you! wont use avon :P

    thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment!

    xo
    A_riot
    http://thickthreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! I keep my nails pretty short too so I think they'd look fine!

    ReplyDelete