Wednesday, May 4, 2011

NOTD: Cinco de Mayo Fail and a List of Don'ts.

As much as I liked my mani from yesterday, I wanted to do something in honor of Cinco de Mayo for tomorrow. (or today since it's after midnight!) I picked a bunch of fiesta themed colors and got to work. I painted dots and swirls and even stamped on a couple of "mexicali roses" using my Monster Bundle plates. I was going for vibrant and this was my finished product.


"Why is your picture so blurry?" you ask. Well, it was the only picture I managed to take before I annihilated it. Yep, my clumsiness took over while I was trying to adjust my camera's settings and I dropped it. I instinctively grabbed for the camera and jammed my still-wet nails into bathroom counter/wall. Oh yeah, I'm awesome. I should have took a picture of the aftermath but I was too busy getting nail polish off the cabinets. FML.

So anyways... after playing around in acetone for a good 5 minutes, I repainted my nails using a design I saw in Woman's Day magazine today. (Gotta love break room reading material!) Their version was on a pedicure. They painted half the nail pink and half red, then did a line of silver down the middle. Then they used a manicure stick to squiggle the silver through the pink and red. I really liked their version... mine, not so much.


I used Milani Cherry Pie , Confetti Nail Color in First Kiss, and Sonia Kashuk Smoke and Mirrors for the silver. I don't really care for this mani at all. I just winged it since I didn't have the magazine with me for the instructions. Bad idea. The squiggles look more like an accident than on purpose. And then, the silver stripes I added on the rest of my nails came out aweful, lol. I honestly would take this off right now if it wasn't pushing 1:00 in the morning and my skin wasn't so dried out from all of the polish remover. So, I'll just have to deal with awkward feelings about my nails tomorrow. Yay.

So let's recap what I've learned:
  1. Don't try to photograph your nails while wet.
  2. Acetone has no mercy. I'm drier than an over baked muffin.
  3. Don't take risks with design at midnight. You may screw up and won't have time to change... again.
  4. Always follow the instructions and if you don't know, then you better ask somebody (or Google.)
I think I've learned a little bit from my mistakes today. Hopefully, my next nail polish adventure won't be a repeat of tonight's fiasco...

No comments:

Post a Comment