Thursday, September 15, 2011

NOTD: Puttin' on the Glitz!

Hey guys! Today I'm bringing you a Nails + Whatnot first... I finally did it! I made my very first franken polish. For those that may not know what that is, I'll briefly explain. A franken is when you mix colors or add something like glitter to existing polishes to create an entirely new color. So basically, you're mashing parts and pieces together a la Dr. Frankenstein. Pretty simple, right?

Well, I stopped in at my local Kmart today in search of the Deborah Lippmann Ruby Red Slippers Dupe. Unfortunately, they didn't have it but they did have this little bottle of Fantasy Makers cosmetic glitter in Glitz in the Halloween display. Since it was only $2.99, I snatched it up figuring I'd figure out something fun to do with it later. It didn't take me long to find inspiration...

Ooooh, rainbow glitter goodness!

Back at home, I was scavenging through my drawer of misfit polishes (you know the ones you just don't like the way they look or they have weird formulas? Yeah, those.) and I came across a bottle of Wet-N-Wild Gray's Anatomy. Gorgeous in the bottle and kind of blah on the nails... I didn't like how transparent it was and it's not the strongest duochrome out there but I digress. I knew it would be given new life as the perfect base for my glitter!

This is some math I can get into!

I mixed roughly 1/8 teaspoon of the glitter and about half the bottle of the Gray's into an empty old Seche Vite bottle. Then I shook the bejeezus out of it to mix it all up and create this awesome holo polish. I think it came out great and there's more sparkle than you can shake a stick at!



I love it. A lot. The only thing I could find wrong with my formula is that the glitter makes it a top coat killer. I have on a thick coat of Seche Vite on top and it's still got a bit of a texture poking thru. I think a second coat of Seche will fix that but I haven't tried it so I'm not positive. But here it is on the nails:

Shimmer

Shine

Sparkle

Glitz!

And oh mah gah, is it just me, or does it look like Christmas lights when blurred? Also, I need a catchy name... "Puttin' on the Glitz" was the best I could come up with, lol. What do you guys think I should call it and have you tried making your own franken polishes? Tell me in the comments below!

Thanks for reading!
- Kim

8 comments:

  1. It's like your fingernails are made of David Bowie, circa Ziggy Stardust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this glitter yesterday and thought it would b great for a franken .... but I put it down.. going back for it for sure. Your franknen come out great ....I like the name too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blingtastic! I keep my christmas lights up year round! Why only enjoy them for 1 month a year! Actually need to put up a new strand, have burned out most of the lights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh This is pretty! Really Pretty!!! I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be flexible with a curriculum and do not be afraid to drop those parts that are not fitting for your educational plan.
    satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete