Thursday, October 7, 2010

Crafting ADD

I have a tendency to start projects with one thing in mind and then it evolves into something entirely different. I started this up-cycle with the intent of adding leaves to an old cardigan based on this super-cute idea by Janet of All Trades. I was going to document my project step by step and I even took some pictures. (Pardon the lighting... this is what happens during my 3:00AM crafting/insomnia therapy sessions.)



Well, it just didn't work out. I had a total mental concept FAIL. I cut out my leaves from and old hunter green Merona t-shirt and pinned them to my cardigan. Sadly, I just wasn't feeling it. Maybe, the green was too dark on the cream colored cardigan or something but what I envisioned in my mind wasn't translating to the fabric so well. Being the clothes hoarder that I am, I ran upstairs and found an old gray wife-beater style tank top that I haven't worn in ages and figured the leaves would look better on it instead.

I pinned the leaves onto the tank and I was pleased with the result so I went permanent and sewed them on. The leaves created this cascading ruffle on the front and I thought it was adorable. There was a problem though... I just didn't take into account how the whole thing would look on "the girls" once I put the tank on. The shirt looked great lying flat on the table but when I put it on, I realized the length of the "ruffle" wasn't nearly long enough. It seriously looked like I had a giant patch of green chest hair! (And we can't be having that, now can we?)

I decided I needed to add something break up the faux chest hair mass. I toyed with a couple of ideas but I settled on a flower since they're all the rage right now. I didn't have another t-shirt to mangle to make one so I went with the next best thing... ribbon. I can not even begin to tell you how I made it because I really don't know how myself. I just twisted and turned and sewed and stitched until it looked like a flower. I sewed on the final touch and viola... a new top!~





I think it all worked out in the end but it was nothing like I had planned or intended.

So what about you guys? Do you have the same problem and how does it usually work out?


No comments:

Post a Comment