Saturday, September 25, 2010

My Life: Death of the Junk Room

I have this terribly bad habit of cleaning up unused items and clutter by hiding it. Closets, drawers, boxes... you name it, if I can stuff my junk in it, I will. So, today, I finally got around to reorganizing our guest bedroom/craft room/junk room. It's an absolute wreck... there is stuff in places that I can't even begin to figure out.

The closet is a nightmare! I'm embarrassed to admit this but I had so much stuff in it that I would actually have to LEAN on the door to close it all the way. The worst of it all is my clothing. I have issues with my weight so it's up and down like a roller coaster which means my wardrobe can easily span 6 dress sizes at any given moment. I vowed to get rid of almost everything I can't wear today so I pulled all of my old clothes out and sorted them into 4 groups: keep, crafts, skinny clothes, and Goodwill.

The keep pile was small... just a couple of things that I forgot I had. The crafts were a couple of items that I want to mod into something else and give a new life to. The skinny clothes are pretty self explanatory... things I just can't bare to part with or too nice to just get rid of. I limited it to one box I can put in the bottom of the closet. I have my fingers crossed that I'll get back into them one day... a girl can dream, can't she? *wink*



Now the Goodwill pile... what a beast that turned out to be! I brought a box of the best trash can liners ever upstairs with me to bag up the things I planned on getting rid of. I ended up using 14 of them. Seriously. Fourteen trash bags full of clothes. It was painful. It was heavy. It was quite liberating. The closest is finally free! Not to mention, I have about 150 coat hangers freed up now.



With Pete's help, I filled my car up with the bags and headed off to the Goodwill. The woman running the drop-off actually said "Oh my god!" when I opened my trunk and that was after we had already got the 4 bags out of the backseat. I asked her if people usually drop off a lot of stuff like this and she just shook her head. I apparently overwhelmed a donation center. What in the world?!

But long story short, I'm just glad to be rid of all the junk. I have big plans for my closet, i.e., a hidden crafting nook!

No comments:

Post a Comment